Happy Valentines my lovelies! If you’re into this particular day, I hope you’re having a wonderful one and if you’re not, I hope you can side step the mushy stuff and maintain your sanity! Husband has a card and some After Eights, and I’ll cook something nice later but that’s the limit in this household! As I’m writing this on Thursday evening I have no idea if he’s remembered or not (I suspect not… But that’s him and it doesn’t bother me).
As the sun was shining yesterday and I was working at home, I used my lunch break to finally, finally, photograph the first By Hand London Anna dress I made. This is by no means a recent make of mine – more like last summer shortly after it was released! It’s a really happy, summery dress – mainly because of the fabric (mermaids, fish, whales!).
I did my usual FBA and sway back adjustment on this as well as Sonja at Gingermakes back neckline gape fix. I used french seams where I could and I catch stitched the sleeves for a lovely, flexible finish. I also used a few tricks I’ve picked up to finish the facings and the facing to zipper. This dress taught me that I needed a little more length in the bodice as the waist was a smudge too high and the pleats were also well into the bewb area rather than under them. Something I didn’t catch when I actually toiled the bodice of this!
To finish the facings I sewed the facing to the interfacing, right sides together, pinked the seams and then flipped the interfacing over so that the glue side was against the wrong side of the fabric. I then pressed. This makes a really beautiful finished edge on the facing and takes a very short period of time to do.
The other finishing technique I used was where the facing meets the invisible zip at the back. I use the Fashion Incubator method, which always gives me a really nice finish – In fact I use her insertion method too where you sew up the seam below the zip BEFORE you insert it. Generally a fantastic resource for all sorts of things – beware you will loose hours but gain tons of knowledge!
I like this dress – although it is a little sheer! Care is needed with underwear colours and situations where you’ll be back lit. And strong gusts of wind as this skirt will catch a breeze as easily as a circle skirt!
So, there we are. My 1st Anna dress. A short and sweet post as this dress is already so well documented on the inter webs!
PS If you fancy winning a rather lovely brolly or a pattern of your choice, let me know in the comments of this post. I’ll pull a winner out of the hat on Monday!