Ugh, my blog post titles are far from poetic! However, it is high time I shared with you my version of Pauline Alice’s Cami Dress. It’s been in my wardrobe quite a while now (since September!) as I made it pretty much as soon as the pattern was released – I’ve only just photographed it though hence why you only get to see her several months down the line!
I made it in some Tula Pink fabric from her ‘Prince Charming’ range. There are turtles, butterflies, girls in swings, waves and all sorts going on in the print. I love the turtles the most though!
Me being me, I had to mess with the pattern. Sometimes I do this because I have a certain idea in mind, sometimes because I don’t like certain details. In this case it was a mix of the two!
The two changes I made were to the finishing of the sleeves at the cuff and the shape of the skirt. For the sleeves I used the cuff pattern piece from By Hand London’s Victoria blazer as I love the way it finishes the seam edge so neatly, but also provides some interest as well; particularly in the contrasting fabric. The second change was to ditch the gathered skirt for a flared A-Line version.
I drafted the skirt myself using the technique in the Craftsy class ‘Design and Sew an A Line Skirt’ and then slashed and spread from the hem to the waist to get the biggest flare I could at the hem.
To match the contrast of the cuffs, I also used the navy contrast on the inside of the collar. This is actually the second collar I made as I screwed the first one up completely. Thankfully Four Square Walls published her collar tutorial just as I decided to rip off the first version and saved my sanity.
Other, minor tweaks, I made were to put more buttons on the bodice as the FBA (Full Bust Adjustment) adds length and the number specified in the pattern didn’t look quite right. I’ve got one of those amazing simplex guides that makes easy spacing of things like buttons an absolute walk in the park. I also added a button at the cuff because I liked the way it looked!
Finally, I inserted the side seam invisible zipper in upside down. This means the tab is at my hip rather than up under my armpit when I’m wearing the dress. I find that the tag and inflexibility of the slider really irritates me if I insert it the ‘normal’ way up and inserting it so it closes by zipping downwards is an easy fix!
Next time (and there will be a next time) the only change I intend to make is to ditch the pockets. Yep, ditch them. Because of the side zipper it makes the placement of the pockets a little awkward as they’re an inch or so too low for me. Don’t get me wrong, I generally love pockets, but because these aren’t quite in the right place for me I don’t use them. I know there are other pocket treatments that could work, but frankly I pretty much always have some sort of bag with me so leaving them off isn’t a massive issue!
Phew, I had more to say about this dress than I thought! I hope you’ve all had a good week. I’ll be glad when this one is done. Work has been busy and exhausting and I got my exam results today and now I know that all the work I put in paid off!
I’m also pattern testing (So. Much. Fun!) at the moment and have a full on weekend planned which included catching up with friends and their little people, swimming, more friends and helping Husband put together three enormous (for us) tenders. Safe to say life is exciting and challenging at the moment. One thing it isn’t is boring!