So today is the first day of the Ginger sewalong. Sunni’s post is here and she’s linked to her previous posts on this sewalong if you want to play catch up!
This is the timetable we’re planning to follow over the next couple of weeks:
- May 16 – Opening post
- May 17 – Tasia, the Sewaholic, gives us a dish on the best fabrics for an A-line skirt of this sort
- May 18 – Sarai, from Colette Patterns (the Ginger’s pattern drafting company) gives us a look at the modern history of the A-line skirt
- May 19 – Casey, from Elegant Musings, shares some of her authentic inspiration and style for A-line skirts
- May 20 – pre-laundering tips
- May 23 – picking your size, pattern adjustments and muslin fitting
- May 24 – cutting the final fabric, working with stripes & bias cut sewing tips
- May 25 – inserting an invisible zipper
- May 26 – a special couture technique from Gertie’s Blog for Better Sewing & finishing off the waistband area
- May 27 – hemming and finishing
As you can see, Sunni has drafted in some of my favourite sewing bloggers to help out on this sewalong! Tasia’s post is tomorrow about fabric (which I’ve already chosen, but maybe I could make two?!), the Sarai gives us a fashion history lesson. Something I always find interesting but never really get round to researching on my own… And I can’t wait for Casey’s styling post!
The pre-laundering tips on Friday will be interesting but I’ve already laundered my choice (a dusky rose cotton with small white polkadots) today as I had the time to pop it in the machine. Then it’s the weekend so we can all play catch up, or I can go camping in Rutland!
Week Two sees me away for the first two days but back for the zipper, which will be really helpful as I’ve never put an invisible zipper in before – do I really need a dedicated foot? Then the ultimate inspirational seamstress Gertie adds her post and we finish of the waistband then we hem and finish the skirt! It must be a really straight forward pattern if we’re constructing it in a week? My copy hasn’t arrived yet so I haven’t had a chance to check the instructions out. Hopefully it’ll be here soon… At least we aren’t sewing today otherwise I’d be a little bit miffed to be missing out and then having to play catch up. Hopefully it’ll arrive very soon and I can make a head start.
Tweaks I’ve already planned for the dusky rose version is that it’ll be lined. I’ve realised I’ve bought the wrong zip – it’s a regular zip rather than an invisible one, so I’ve got to go back to the fabric store anyway so I could get the fabric for another skirt. Version two is likely to be in a deep royal blue to match the roses on some Liberty Tana Lawn that’s destined for the Violet pattern, and may have some piping around the waist band as it looks so cute on Sunni’s version. I’ll probably line that one too.