Hurrah! Finished Objects and Drafting Plans…

OK, confession first.  I can’t add the pictures at the moment because the camera is being stupid (or I’m failing to operate it properly!) and we’ve lent our little point and shoot to a friend who broke his camera.  Hurrah, I’ve got some pictures to show you!

I finished my navy crescent skirt.  I made a muslin of the waist band and it was waaaaaay too big, even though I’d done all my math properly.  I triple checked it.  So I pinched and pinned and removed 2″ from the waist band and transferred this to the pattern pieces by removing 1/4″ from 8 places (CF, sides and CB).  I then happily cut my fabric and made up my skirt.

And gosh darn IT.  The waist band is still a little loose and keeps dropping lower than I’d like.  I’d like the top of the waistband to hit at belly button level.  I could take another 1″ out quite comfortably.  I know I’m working on losing weight and toning up but this is ridiculous (although in a good way – I’d be grumpy if it was too tight!).

I’ve worn the skirt for the last couple of days for work and it’s very comfy.  It’s now in the wash, but once it’s clean I can bore you all with pictures of it.  I’m really pleased with how the inside turned out in particular as I used a red wine coloured bias binding to finish the waist band and as a seam binding on the hem, french seamed the sides and pockets and turned and stitched the centre back seam.  It looks really neat!

Top Stitching
Bias Bound Facing
Bias Bound Hem and Turned and Stitched Centre Seam
French Seamed Side Seams

I love the style and it’s easy to wear, even chasing after a toddler.  I think the next one I make (and I’ve ordered the fabric!) will be shorter though and hit above my knee rather than just below it.  I’ll also try and sort the waistband fitting issue out too.

Fabric for my second Crescent Skirt, Japanese Slubbed Cotton

Construction wise, I’ll apply the interfacing to the fashion fabric before cutting the pieces as I made a bit of a mess of my ironing board cover when fusing the cut interfacing to the cut fabric.  It’ll also reduce the amount of cutting out I have to do too.  I think I’ll probably apply the zipper before sewing the back seam too as the inside of my zipper insertions always look a bit messy.  If anyone has any advice on how to make them look neater, I’d love to hear!

Casey’s post on drafting the circle skirt also went up last night, so I’ll be playing with pencils, rulers and a pair of compass tomorrow.  Can’t wait!

Advertisements

3 thoughts on “Hurrah! Finished Objects and Drafting Plans…

  1. I love that Japanese cotton, beautiful! I KNOW I would have real problems cutting into something so pretty! lol. Also loving the Jasmine blouse you posted about below… I may need to check that one out!

  2. Can’t wait to see photos. I love your Japanese fabric choice, too.
    Great idea about applying interfacing before cutting. Saves steps and your ironing board cover!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s