Squee! It’s a week on Monday until the sew along starts! I am really looking forward to making this jacket, so today as I had a day all on my own to do what ever I wanted with (which probably should have included some housework?!) I did some preparation.
I traced and FBA’d the pattern over the last few evenings, which meant lengthening the placket by 7/8″. I used Lazy Stitching’s tutorial, which follows the same method as Fit for Real People. Instead of adding the extra fullness to the gathers at the neckline, I’ve instead opted for a bust dart. Flat pattern wise, that’s the only adjustment I made – apart from also doing the FBA on pattern piece 9 (lining) and lengthening the aforementioned placket piece (No 6).
So, I then thought I’d get on with pre-washing my lining and proofing my cotton canvas outer.
I’ve used Nikwax Cotton Proof and used 150ml. As that’s for one item and for two you’d only need another 50ml. I did the hand wash method and didn’t follow instruction 1: Use Gloves. As a result of pushing the fabric into the hand-hot (well, a smudge warmer, but I could put my hands in it) I had a slightly waxy residue left on my skin. No biggie as we have tubs of Swarfega (a hand de-greaser, used a lot in the motor trade) due to the Land Rover obsession of Husband by every sink!
For the rinsing part, I again ignored the whole gloves thing and rinsed, and rinsed and rinsed some more. This time with cold water,then a quick spin in the machine to get rid of as much water as possible and then into the tumble dryer as we have a dry bright day here so the solar panels are working well but it’s not warm enough to dry outside and I don’t have anywhere inside that’s suitable for drying that sort of yardage!
I also made miles of piping, which needs to be carefully coiled and tied and pre-washed.
Next up, I did a little bit of shopping. For essential supplies:
See, separating zip (32″ as the FBA added nearly an inch of length to the front), and another non-separating one for the hood, buttons for the next Sencha, elastic, thread (2 spools as suggested by Lladybird in her pattern review).
Oh, and then there was the not so essential shopping… The star fabric will either be a Violet or Jasmine. And then the dotty one is a jersey that was £3.99 for 2+ yards as was the plaid in Oxfam! Don’t you just love the teal of the plaid – I’m thinking a pencil skirt, maybe with a godet… Like this one!
Next up, the muslin / toile!