This is my water test on my NikWax’d and dried fabric. And you can finally see an accurate representation of the colour!
I simply flicked a load of water on it and ignored it for five minutes- not hugely scientific! Most of it has beaded on the fabric which is good, although a little has soaked in, but hasn’t spread. Tasia did a post about assessing waterproofness (is that even a word?!) of fabric yesterday.
So, my jacket isn’t going to be waterproof, but isn’t going to be a sponge in a short shower either which is great!
I’ve also constructed my muslin and believe me when I say that Tasia has produced not only a pattern that looks pretty good in calico, but also sews up super fast! I only used the pieces for the outer, but even then, including pining in elastic at the waist and making the cuffs and attaching them, it was sewn up in about 90 minutes! It looks like the envelope illustrations too!
I do need to make a few changes though to perfect the fit:
The first is to shorten the torso length by about 2″. I don’t know if my waist is high or I just have a short torso, but the elastic looks better 2″ higher than the placement marks! So I’m going to take a tuck out above the elastic and see what that does rather than just moving the elastic placement.
The length as is though is just perfect for me, so I’ll be adding any length I take out back into the skirt part of the jacket.
I also need to take about 3″ of length out of the arms as even with the sleeves folded back at the cuff they’re a touch too long, so I’ll pin that out as well and see what I think.
Other than those pretty simple adjustments and the original FBA I think it’s pretty much there. Once I’ve made the adjustments I’ll subject you all to the muslin to make sure that there isn’t anything I’ve missed…