Today, I moved all my sewing gear downstairs. My machine, the serger, the iron and my little ironing board. All of it got trucked downstairs and onto our dining room table.
Whilst I adore my little sewing room, when I want to put in some serious hours on a reasonably big project, there just isn’t quite the room I need on my table upstairs.
Downstairs, I’m all set up and there’s space to pin on the flat without ending up on the floor! There’s also enough space for the table to take the weight of the dress.
I set them all up and then set to the serger with a screwdriver to install the new upper blade. Man was that little screw tight! It nearly turned into a job for Husband… But I got there. Everything was plugged in, cables were neat-ish and not too hazardous for a marauding toddler.
As you’ve probably guessed, panic has passed and progress is being made. This morning I finished basting the underlinings to the fabric. I only had to re-do one panel when I realised I had two identical side fronts and not the required mirror images! Gotta love basting stitches for being so easy to remove…
And here’s the first seam. This was done just gone 10am this morning and then carefully pressed. Yup, that’s Boy’s work bench in the back ground!
I’ve been very very carefully putting the seam allowances through the serger with it’s lovely sharp new knife. I did not want to inadvertently slice holes in anything as there is no way you could hide it on this fabric. It’d mean a whole new panel.
Here’s the front of the dress all completed, and pleats carefully pressed in and basted across the bottom. I edge-stitched along the inside pleat to help those stay where they should. I’m hoping a ton of steam and pressure will be enough for the outside ones!
And so far I’m one third of the way through the back with the invisible zipper all installed. Just got to add the side panels, serge the seam allowances and then construct two more sets of pleats.
Do you want me to photograph how I do the pleats? I’m not sure that it’s to the letter of the instructions but it’s getting the finish that I want. Holler in the comments if you do!
So I hope to finish the back tonight and add the facings. Hopefully I’ll also get to basting the side seams and trying it on for fit and maybe even finishing the side seams… I feel so much happier that I’ve made some progress; I’ve gone from feeling that I’m stood at the base of Everest to feeling quite calm and that this is all achievable.
Thank you so much for your encouragement and kind words over the last few weeks – both sewing related and about my family. It means a huge amount and has given me strength when I sometimes felt that I may falter.
Dad’s CT scan came back clear and there were no cancer markers in his blood. They think the growth was a fibrosis, but the culture has grown ‘unusually quickly’. But as my Dad said – he’d much rather it was growing quickly in a petri dish than in him. At the moment the medical bods aren’t planning anything agressive going forwards, but will be monitoring him closely. They’ve yet to have their meeting and give a formal report, but that’s what we know so far…
Here’s to going forwards!