I just fully lined a dress. Well, I fully lined a dress last night, but it was really really dark at 10:00pm so I couldn’t do photos until today!
I made the dress its self from a Prince of Wales check wool with a slight green element to it. The lining is another dress made from (da dum!) lining fabric!
I applied a few tutorials in doing this – none of them specifically for fully lining a dress, but each with information that helped me suss it out on my own!
First up is the invisible zipper tutorial I have had the best results with from Pattern Scissors Cloth (I do use an invisible zipper foot though!). It’s unusual in that it tells you to sew the seam below the zip before you insert it and it works, it really really works.
Then I stitched the lining to the zip tape a la the Colette Sewing Handbook.
I attached the neck of the dress and lining together using this Pattern Scissors Cloth invisible zip facing tutorial, which is the exact (or very similar) method Tasia uses for her Crescent skirt.
Finally, I attached the lining to the sleeves using Tasia’s tutorial from her Minoru Jacket Sewalong. I cut the lining 1/4″ shorter than the sleeve and used a 3/8″ seam allowance so that the lining didn’t go right to the edge of the sleeve, when the sleeve’s seam allowance of 5/8″ was pressed back.
As I don’t have any green thread for my serger, the insides are all finished with bright blue thread! To stop this being quite so glaring should anyone catch a glimpse of my skirt lining, I mock flat-felled the seams on the skirt lining.
As I said, pretty pleased with myself – it looks pretty inside and out! Just the hemming to go…
And don’t forget the Sew Very Merry Christmas Fabric Swap – signup is open for just under another two weeks!