I do love Dolly, the hair, the rhinestones, the songs… And apologies if that turns into an ear worm!!
OK, next up is my wool Peony. These are all photos of before it was reverse sewed and re-engineered to fix some fit and construction muck ups.
As you can see there is some weird stuff happening with the bust darts and bubbling. That’s my fault and not the patterns – I can safely say that they are the worst darts I have ever sewn. I swear they look an inch longer than they actually are because of that damn bubble!
And I managed to make it about 4″ too big at the waist. I do NOT know how that happened as the toile fit fine and I carefully transferred the changes back to the pattern. All I can imagine is that when I pinned the back closed on the toile I pinned it tighter than when I put the zip in. I’ve lost a bit of weight but not that flippin much. Ah well, cock pit error and I’ll have to do some fixing.
So, re-works. I’m going to unpick the waist seam at the darts and re-do them as well as making them deeper to sort the fit at the waist out a bit. I’m hoping to solve the bagginess and bubbling with that one. I’ll then put some gathers into the skirt as drafted, or I may add darts as I quite like the sleekness of it at the moment. I’ll baste some darts in and see what I think and then make a decision as to whether it’ll be that solution or the gathers.
I’ll take some photos once I’ve tweaked. I do have to admit though that the sloppy fit around the waist and the bubbly darts haven’t stopped me wearing this dress though. I just love the colours. And look a pretty hem with snug-hug and hand stitching. I added a full lining the same colour as the stripe in the wool. Something about this combination of chocolate and pale blue just makes me happy.
So whilst it’s not perfect, it has some potential with a bit more work and reverse sewing…