Hurrah! Finished Objects and Drafting Plans…

OK, confession first.  I can’t add the pictures at the moment because the camera is being stupid (or I’m failing to operate it properly!) and we’ve lent our little point and shoot to a friend who broke his camera.  Hurrah, I’ve got some pictures to show you!

I finished my navy crescent skirt.  I made a muslin of the waist band and it was waaaaaay too big, even though I’d done all my math properly.  I triple checked it.  So I pinched and pinned and removed 2″ from the waist band and transferred this to the pattern pieces by removing 1/4″ from 8 places (CF, sides and CB).  I then happily cut my fabric and made up my skirt.

And gosh darn IT.  The waist band is still a little loose and keeps dropping lower than I’d like.  I’d like the top of the waistband to hit at belly button level.  I could take another 1″ out quite comfortably.  I know I’m working on losing weight and toning up but this is ridiculous (although in a good way – I’d be grumpy if it was too tight!).

I’ve worn the skirt for the last couple of days for work and it’s very comfy.  It’s now in the wash, but once it’s clean I can bore you all with pictures of it.  I’m really pleased with how the inside turned out in particular as I used a red wine coloured bias binding to finish the waist band and as a seam binding on the hem, french seamed the sides and pockets and turned and stitched the centre back seam.  It looks really neat!

Top Stitching
Bias Bound Facing
Bias Bound Hem and Turned and Stitched Centre Seam
French Seamed Side Seams

I love the style and it’s easy to wear, even chasing after a toddler.  I think the next one I make (and I’ve ordered the fabric!) will be shorter though and hit above my knee rather than just below it.  I’ll also try and sort the waistband fitting issue out too.

Fabric for my second Crescent Skirt, Japanese Slubbed Cotton

Construction wise, I’ll apply the interfacing to the fashion fabric before cutting the pieces as I made a bit of a mess of my ironing board cover when fusing the cut interfacing to the cut fabric.  It’ll also reduce the amount of cutting out I have to do too.  I think I’ll probably apply the zipper before sewing the back seam too as the inside of my zipper insertions always look a bit messy.  If anyone has any advice on how to make them look neater, I’d love to hear!

Casey’s post on drafting the circle skirt also went up last night, so I’ll be playing with pencils, rulers and a pair of compass tomorrow.  Can’t wait!

Finished Pendrell Blouse!

Finished Pendrell!

Well, almost!  It still needs hemming and I think I can also take in a bit at the side seams as there’s a lot of extra fabric there.  It’s too late tonight though to start playing with that though, so I may just leave this one as being very loose fitting and make the adjustments on the next one.

I am really pleased I altered the neck line on this as otherwise I may have ended up looking like I was being strangled.  With a chest like mine, high neck lines just look wrong…  I am also really really pleased with the arm hole facing – for some reason I just found them really satisfying to do and they came out really neatly – much neater than the neck!

As you can see, the FBA added a fair bit of length to this so I think I’ll probably take a few inches off the bottom before I hem it.  I’ll probably do a 1″ double fold hem and blind stitch it.  I’ll test out how that’ll look on some scrap fabric first though.

Sorry for the black line down the right of the last photo – I really need to find somewhere in the house that’s better suited to taking photos that isn’t going to include a door frame and part of a very dark hall way.  I promise I’ll sort my hair out next time too!

I love that I’ve managed to upcycle half a duvet cover to make this top – I’ve got some spare too, as well as the other side, although not enough for another pendrell, but I may well get a Sorbetto out of it…  I do love this colour though, warm tones of blue feature quite heavily in my colour schemes!

So there we have it, finished (apart from the hem) object number 3!