Looky looky what arrived today! And it was only shipped on the 9th so arrived in exactly a week. How good is that?
I’ve had a read of the Lonsdale pattern instructions and now fully understand how the front works. I’d made it far far far more complicated in my head than it really is. I’ll need to do a bit of grading of the pattern to get it to fit my current, but reducing, figure and this takes me a while but as the pattern pieces are so simple, it shouldn’t be too onerous. I’m very interested to see what Tasia has come up with in the way of an FBA for this design as there’s not a lot of shaping in the bodice… Think the bodice will deff need a muslin made as a test run.
I think I’ll use a vintage sheet for the dress if there’s enough fabric. I’ve got the white side of a double duvet cover with large chrysanthemum type flowers printed in outline on it in shades of blue and pale beige and another which is white with turquoise flowers all over it.
In other sewing related news I’ve graded my Pendrell, done the FBA (ie added 2 1/2″ at the princess seam line – eek!), altered the neckline to be more of a V as that’s more flattering for me, done a ton of tissue fitting, retraced and cut the pattern pieces and have actually gone near some fabric! It’s cut out, I just need to actually do some sewing…
I’m just going to make the shell to begin with (using the blue side of the chrysanthemum duvet cover) as a sort of wearable muslin – I’m intending to wear it, but if it’s a total disaster I haven’t wasted my gorgeous butterfly fabric.
This weekend I received an email from Tasia at Sewaholic to say that the Lonsdale pattern had been shipped (and the Crescent skirt I ordered at the same time)! And today, she’s put up the time table for the sewalong and given us all a badge (can you see mine on the right hand side?!). It all gets going whilst I’m away, but I’ll be able to follow along on the Blackberry and get cracking once I get home!
In fact, my current sewing is all pretty much Sewaholic centric. I’ve just finished grading the Pendrell blouse to my high bust measurement and hope to tissue fit it this evening – I know I’m going to need a FBA (Full Bust Adjustment) as there’s 4″ difference between my bust and high bust measurements. The hips measurements are very roomy, although I think I’m going to have to add some to the waist but the FBA will add to that area, so I’ll see how we go… I’ll use the Pendrell Sew Along post on the FBA and the Fit for Real People book to help me on this one! Hopefully I’ll be able to make some real progress on this and ideally get it finished before we go away on the 22nd. Wish me luck!
OK, I’m getting a little over excited over here! The Lonsdale pattern is being shipped imminently and I can’t wait to get my paws on it! It’s got to make it to me here in the UK from Canada, but it’ll soon be on its way – Hurrah!
And what’s even better is that there’s going to be a sewalong for the dress. Starting the 1st of August by the sounds of it. I haven’t actually participated in one of Tasia’s sewalongs but have read the posts for the Pendrell blouse and followed along with the crescent skirt sewalong. Both have had all sorts of tips and tricks and techniques in them, so I’m looking forward to this as a learning experience as well as having a lovely dress by the end of it.
I’m planning on doing the maxi length, so according to the pattern envelope I’ll need 5 1/4 yards of 44″ fabric or 4 1/2 yards of 59″ fabric.
This is the one I think I’m going to go for:
It’s an ivory back ground with blue water colour style roses all over it. Each rose is a little larger than a 5 pence piece, or about 6/8″ across, so a small-ish print. It’s a poly-cotton so should be reasonably easy care. It’s 44″ wide so I’ll need 4.8m of it but as I’ll need to grade the bodice pattern I’ll order 6m so I’ve got spare fabric should I need it.
Speaking of grading I’m working on grading the Pendrell blouse pattern up and will share my progress with you soon… I’ve done the maths side of things, I now need to trace the pattern, slash and spread and then re-trace the sized pattern before making a muslin… I’ll take photos as I go so you can see what I did. Wish me luck!